|Santa Barbara Police Department|
|Location:||Santa Barbara, California, U.S.|
|Last appearance:||The Break-Up|
The Santa Barbara Police Department is the police headquarters for the City of Santa Barbara.
In 1978, there was a plot to blow up the station. Henry Spencer, who was a patrol officer at the time, caught the criminal behind the plot and put him behind bars.
It is first seen in the pilot episode, but was smaller than the later version. It had a white exterior, with a smaller glass interior. Subsequently, a different building is used, with cherry blossom trees in the front and a department sign in the front. The exterior has a cream outer and orange-red highlights for the roof. The interior is now a light mustard yellow, brown accents.
The inside of the department is designed like an adobe, with decorative tiles.
Chief's OfficeEditChief Vick's office (the domain of Harris Trout for a brief period in season 8, but now presumably empty) is a glass-door enclosed area in the SBPD. It has burgundy floors, a desk, and a table with four chairs around it. Her office is usually where all of the meetings are held right before they begin investigating a case. In "Bounty Hunters!", Carlton Lassiter acted as chief for a few days and used her office until she got back.
- Carlton Lassiter (Former Head Detective and now chief of SBPD)
- Betsy Brannigan (Head Detective)
- Buzz McNab (Former Police Officer and now SBPD Junior Detective)
- Woodrow Strode (Coroner)
- Dobson (Detective mentioned throughout the series who makes his first appearance in The Break-Up)
- Karen Vick (former Chief, now chief of SFPD)
- Juliet O'Hara (Former SBPD detective and now Head Detective of SFPD)
- Martha Allen (Desk Sergeant who departed without reason after the "Woman Seeking Dead Husband: Smokers Okay, No Pets" episode.)
- Shawn Spencer (Former Consultant with SBPD and now consultant for SFPD)
- Burton "Gus" Guster (Former Consultant with SBPD and now consultant for SFPD)
- Lucinda Barry (Former Junior Detective who transferred away after the Pilot episode)
- Harris Trout (Interim Chief, fired in "Someone's Got a Woody")
- Henry Spencer (Retired Detective/Retired Consultant Advisor turned temporary Criminology Professor in The Break-Up)
- Brett Connors (Retired Captain)
- Lou Gamble (Retired Police Officer)
- Jerry Carp (Retired Police Officer)
- Jack Atwater (Retired Police Officer)